<< T13, #57! | Main | Stuff Portrait Friday >>
My tattoos

A few people asked to see the tattoos I have...here you go!

1. The first one is no more...it was a home made heart on my right forearm, quite small, I did it when I was 14 or 15.
old tat.jpg
I was in my very early 20s in this pic

2. Next, I was going to tattoo James Montgomery Band on my left instep. I got the J done and stopped cause it hurt like a mother. Remember that!

3. In my early 20s, I decided I wanted to get a Halloween pumpkin on my instep; old school tattoo dude said no, chicks get roses or butterflies. I said um...ok, a rose. Yeah, I was a moron. Plus, it hurt SO bad, he only ended up doing the outline.

4. In my late 30s, when I was getting ready to leave Japan, I decided I wanted a tattoo to commemmorate my time there.
palm tree setting sun & kanji (dreams)
It's on my back, on the left, high up (it looks like the right in the picture cause I took it in the mirror LOL)

5. I also got the rose on my instep colored in around this time...cause time erases pain, right? HOLY MOG did it hurt even more the third time around!
rose
No.more.tats.on.my.instep!!!

6. When I got back to the states, I decided I wanted to cover the small, home made heart on my arm...something small was my original idea. I ended up with this:
cherry blossoms
I love it, it's beautiful, the cherry blossoms totally remind me of Japan, but it's really VISIBLE, you know? The kanji in this one means "Spring". Also, Sean Astin (Samwise Gamgee in the LOTR trilogy) touched this tattoo and said it was pretty. I met him at a book signing at the Boston Museum of Science. I told Zoot I was going and she was all OMG I'M SO IN LOVE WITH SEAN ASTIN YOU HAVE TO GET ME HIS AUTOGRAPH!!! which I, of course, did ;-) Oooh, sorry if I outed you, Zoot!

So once I got that one, I was like...um...the hell with it, the more the merrier!

7. I really began to think about what I wanted after that; when I went to Scotland, I wanted to get a thistle and when I went to Hawaii, I wanted a sea turtle. I ended up getting the sea turtle done, altho not in Hawaii.
seaturtle
Isn't he cute! His name is Percy.

8. The next one I designed myself; I'm totally not happy with the lettering, and because of it, I switched tattooists. The person who did the cherry blossoms & sea turtle did the lettering & the half moon & star inside, my new guy did the mist & the rest of the stars.
mischief managed
Mischief Managed is a phrase from the 3rd Harry Potter book, The Prisoner of Azkaban. It's what was said to close the secret map of Hogwarts when the user was done looking at it. To open the map, you tapped it with your wand and said, "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." I considered that, but it was too long ;-)

9. Next up is this one:
next one
It's a phoenix, and I'm not sure I'll have it done in this color or in flame colors. It's going to cost about $260, so I'm waiting for a bit...plus it'll be the biggest one I'll have, and it's going to be on my upper left arm. I'll keep you posted :-)

Show me yours?

Comments

Comments

Wow, most of these are really beautiful! I love the managed mischief one!! As for the phoenix, don't go for the flame colours...too contrived.

Posted by Kimba at September 7, 2006 10:30 PM

I love 'em. The phoenix is gorgeous. I would do blues or maybe purples, but not reds/oranges.

Ok, so I'll spend more time thinking about what I want done. ;)

Posted by Lisa at September 7, 2006 11:01 PM

I LOVE your tattoos. I have one [a rose vine around my ankle which was a gift from my husband a long time ago]. I want another one, but I can't decide what to get yet. I want something on my wrist that reminds me of my kids. And I'm sure I won't stop there.

Posted by Christine at September 7, 2006 11:41 PM

I love the "mischief managed" one (including the lettering) - it's really unusual! The phoenix is really pretty too. FWIW, I like the cool colors in the pic (although I bet I'd like it in warm colors too).

Posted by DebR at September 8, 2006 12:44 AM

Hi! Surfed in thru ThursdayThirteen.com, and I just gotta say your tats are fantastic!

I have some pix of mine - Calvin and Hobbes, a tiger, and an Egyptian ankh - up here.

Posted by ganns at September 8, 2006 1:05 AM

Very cool! You really have traveled all over the word, it seems. I'm envious! I liked the colors on these, just beautiful!

Posted by Laura at September 8, 2006 8:12 AM

Now I have to post pics and stories about my ink!!

I love the blossoms!!

If it were me on the phoenix I would go with flame colors .. click your lighter ... look at all of those colors and go with that. Flames aren't always red and orange. = ) Hotter they are the prettier they are.

Posted by LOUP at September 8, 2006 8:47 AM

I like the lettering on the "Mischief" one! Of course, it's not on my body, is it?

Great artwork. I can't wait to see the phoenix. Flame colors? Absolutely.

And I already showed you mine. but I may show you again with my improved hips and waistline. ;)

Posted by Megan at September 8, 2006 9:34 AM

Wow, very cool. My fave is the Mischief one as well.
♥Pam

Posted by Pam at September 8, 2006 9:54 AM

I don't have any tattoos, but that's an impressive collection!

(I always joke with people that the reason I don't have any is because it would interfere with a life of crime, should I ever decide to turn to the dark side. ;))

Posted by rampantbicycle at September 8, 2006 10:29 AM

Those are cool. My favorite is the HP one, love the phrase 'Managed Mischief'.

I have to ask, since I cannot tell, what are you reading in the first picture?

Posted by Carl V. at September 8, 2006 11:39 AM

Oooh! Lovin the tats! I'm going to get a star outline when I turn 18. Not sure where though.

Posted by The Good Girl at September 8, 2006 12:21 PM

I LOVE them all! (ouch on the instep!)

I only have one.....so far. Have others in mind that I need to put on paper first.

Its on my flickr....somewhere

Posted by Laura at September 8, 2006 1:44 PM

No tats for me. But I have piercings. But I'm not posting pics. This is a family-friendly site, right? ;-)

Posted by Colleen Gleason at September 8, 2006 2:07 PM

I like how your tattoos tie into places you've been. Mischief Managed is excellent! I've got just one myself. Nothing as detailed as yours though. I got it this year for my birthday as a present to myself.

Posted by Lisa at September 8, 2006 9:06 PM

Very cool! I just have a small one on my left shoulder. I'd like to get another couple soon.

Posted by Teena at September 8, 2006 11:52 PM

I'm in :)

Posted by Teena at September 9, 2006 12:11 AM

I'm boring and have none to show. I love the mischief managed one. It's my favorite. The colors are awesome.

Posted by shpprgrl at September 9, 2006 10:30 AM

I have no tatoos. And because of this, I am sad. In my mind I am the painted lady at the side show, but I have never gotten one. Maybe, on my 40th birthday, I will finally get a tatoo. Not. On. My. Instep. ;-P

I think my favorite of yours is the turtle! Turtles are my favorite animal, except for hedgehogs of course, which are always first on my list ;)

And I'd do the blue phoenix.

Posted by Gina at September 9, 2006 11:46 AM