<< What Is It Wednesday #76 | Main
2007 Autumn Reading Challenge: R.I.P. II

***STICKY POST, NEW STUFF BELOW***

chair facing tree
Pull up a chair, make yourself comfy, sit and read for a bit ;-)

Carl has posted (a bit early, yippee!) his 2007 R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) Autumn Reading Challenge! He describes it as: "...a September 1st through October 31st celebration of all tales gothic, eerie, creepy, and dark. Tales that one reads in the dark of night, experiencing delicious shivers of terror and suspense at each creak of the floorboards or each gust of wind." Shiver me timbers!

I'm so excited about this; I immediately placed an order for the following books that have been on my wish list for some time:

- The Other by Thomas Tryon (I read this back in the 70s and am eager to read it again!)
- Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest
- Strangers by Taichi Yamada

I also ordered:

- I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

And Carl mentioned this bunch, which I added to my list:

- Strange Happenings: Five Tales of Transformation by Avi
- Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (I also ordered the other two in the trilogy, New Moon and Eclipse)

I have a book of scary stories* at home, the first one I ever read as a child which started me on this life long path of loving to read things scary...can't remember the name of it, but I'll add it to the list tonight!

***UPDATED***
*More Tales to Tremble By (Whitman Classics) by Stephen P Sutton (Editor), Gordon Laite (Illustrator)

more tales to tremble by

I will be participating in "Peril the First" (read four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose), supplemented by the "Short Story Sunday Peril"; which involves simply reading one R.I.P. short story per weekend.

Comments

Comments

You will love Twilight. My niece just let me borrow Eclipse. I just read ALL the info about this challenge. It kinda hurt my head. LOL! I might join.

Posted by Nancy at August 20, 2007 1:16 PM

I wish I could get into reading more!

Posted by Laura at August 20, 2007 1:42 PM

A reading challenge...Hhmmm....
Thinking, thinking...

I haven't read any of the ones on your list, although I *think* I remember seeing a movie based on "The Other" many years ago.

Posted by DebR at August 20, 2007 6:01 PM

I love short stories. This should be so much fun to do. It's hard to believe that it's almost September!

Posted by Lisa at August 20, 2007 6:45 PM

ooo Oooo I read The Other years and years ago and you are probably the first person I knew who had also read it. I keep hoping it will come back into print.

I found a study guide on it you might like

Mama Kelly

Posted by mama kelly at August 20, 2007 6:49 PM

This is a great idea! I like the scary books too, but sometimes I chicken out. lol

I'm gonna read a lot more when the kids are all situated in school. I might have to check out some on your list definitely!!! I'm still reading the last HP book; it was tempting to check the above post but I stopped myself.

Posted by Sword Girl at August 20, 2007 8:23 PM

Looks like some fun reading, I need to get some fun scary books!!

Posted by goofy girl at August 21, 2007 1:09 PM

I just posted my list...I'm going for 4 perils. GULP

Yes, I'm crazy...but the first one to be dropped, if necessary, will be Peril the Second.

Looking forward to reading your reviews! I don't think we have any overlap in lists.

Posted by Marina at August 21, 2007 9:56 PM

More tales to tremble by looks like such a cool book! And I love that graveyard picture!

I've got Four and Twenty Blackbirds on my list too. Great list there. Looking forward to this challenge so much! Carl's challenges are so much fun :)

Posted by chris at August 22, 2007 2:24 AM

Great! I hope you enjoy Four and Twenty Blackbirds, I loved it. Will be interested to see what you make of it. I'm reading the second book in the series for the challenge - Wings to the Kingdom.

With all these people listing Blood and Chocolate, I think I really am going to have to get a copy!

Posted by Quixotic at August 22, 2007 5:33 AM

the cover to More Tales to Tremble By is hysterical! Love the cover!

Rowlings needs to write a book on Snape! That would problably fit the bill too!

Posted by deslily at August 23, 2007 8:47 AM

A different genre and I'd be interested.

Posted by Julie at August 26, 2007 8:19 PM

I wanna play.

Posted by MissMeliss at August 27, 2007 2:35 PM

Oh, I can't read scary books. I'd never be able to sleep or be alone in my apartment!

Posted by leslie at August 28, 2007 10:29 PM

I am in! Thanks for stickying this to the top of your blog posts....I'm working on my post/list right now!

Posted by rusvw at September 1, 2007 8:56 AM